Thursday, March 25, 2010

Patrick Ness to complete Siobhan Dowd novel

2009 Carnegie Medalist Siobhan Dowd, who died in August 2007, left the beginning of a novel with Walker Books. Now, Guardian and Costa award winning author Patrick Ness has taken Dowd’s preliminary pages and agreed to write a novel from them.

Denise Johnstone-Burt, Publisher at Walker Books, who commissioned the original novel from Siobhan, says:
‘We are delighted that such a fine writer as Patrick should have, as it were, teamed up with Siobhan to craft her initial work into a novel that reflects both her unique imagination and his genius. It is an incredibly exciting fusion of talent that I am certain would have delighted Siobhan were she alive today.’

Denise Dowd, Siobhan’s sister, says:
‘I am reading Patrick Ness' book The Knife of Never Letting Go at the moment and enjoying it hugely. I am delighted that such an eminent author is prepared to take on this task and I am sure the result will be well worth it.’

Patrick Ness, says:
‘I never met Siobhan when she was alive, but it feels as if I know her through her brilliant books. She was an irreverent and hugely welcoming writer, and I certainly don’t see this as a humourless, po-faced eulogy – I don’t get the feeling Siobhan would have liked that at all. There’s good mischief to be had. I can’t wait to get started.’

The book will be published in May 2011.

No comments: